Living In His Blessings

And Praising Him Every Step of the Way

Friday, March 19, 2010

It's a BOY!!!!


Grant Paul Merten
March 16, 2010 10:22 AM
Weighed 7 lb 15 oz ~ 21 inches



After getting a call from the hospital at 9:00 letting us know that our induction was being pushed back a few hours, Steve and I hung out at mom & dad's house for a while until it was time to leave for the hospital. Induction started at close to 2:00am with the insertion of medicine to thin my cervix. I was told that they would wait 4 hours and then determine when to start pitocin. Well, THAT NEVER HAPPENED!! Within 2-3 hours of being induced I was in full out labor. Contractions coming right on top of one another.......oh the pain......enter epidural. I had already informed the nurses and my midwife that in the past, once I have an epidural I progress very quickly. Apparently me telling them wasn't proof enough. I was dilated to a 3 when the epidural went in and within 2 1/2 hours I had progressed to an 8. Within 20 minutes of being checked and told that I was an "8" I was feeling pressure and calling the nurse back in. She told me that there was "no way" that I was already fully dilated and that she would come back in an hour to check me. Baha!!! She was back 20 minutes later to find me completely dilated and at +3 station. So, basically the baby's head was crowning. Our wonderful midwife....we'll call her Pam the Great......was called in and within a few minutes and almost zero pushes our little man was finally here!!!!

The first couple of nights were rough.....I'm sure that it's tough work being born and it certainly isn't easy delivering a baby.....so, we're all still trying to recover. I had no stitches and there was no tearing so my recovery has been remarkably fast.......thank goodness. And last night (night 3) Grant actually slept for a little over 4 hours in his own crib!!! Steve and I both woke up this morning freaking out because we hadn't heard from him in so long.....lol! But he was completely content snoozing. Whew!!!

Both Ryann and Kamri are out of town for Spring Break and both are very very anxious to meet their new baby brother! I absolutely CAN'T WAIT for them to come home on Sunday!!!!! I've missed them so much this week! It's been nice being able to adjust and have some time with just Steve, Grant and myself, but I know that we are all ready to have our family back home!!!

Gotta run.....it's lunch time for me and then for Grant!!!

Love to all ~
Melony, Steve & Grant : )


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I am so happy to hear everything went great during the delivery!! I am so sorry I wasn't able to get to the hospital to see you. With only one vehicle and living so far from greenville it has been hard. God has blessed your family with such an amazing little boy and he is so beautiful! I am so ready to meet Mr. Grant! You are such a terrific person and he has such a wonderful mother!

Unknown said...

Melony, I am so happy for you and Steve! I know that it feels like you've been waiting forever to meet your little man! I know first hand what an overwellming joyit is when the wait is finally over! I can't wait to meet little Grant! I just know that Micah and him are going to be best friends! Love you girl and feels so very blessed to get to do life with you!